Helpful Tips for Filing Your Initial Application
Initial Application for SSD or SSI Benefits: Get It Right the First Time
Filing for Social Security Disability requires that you present organized, complete information showing you are unable to work. Your medical, work, and educational history must be presented clearly. The attorneys at Papa & Roberts can help you gather, review, and prepare the information for your first application for Social Security benefits in order to save you time and money.
Information You Need
When submitting an application for Social Security Disability (SSD) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits, you must provide:
- Medical History: All records pertaining to your full medical history, any conditions you suffer from, and any diagnoses relevant to your disability benefits claim must be collected and arranged in a way that convinces the Social Security Administration that you are indeed disabled and unable to work.
- Work History: The Social Security Administration (SSA) will look carefully at what kinds of jobs you held in the past. They will decide if your disability keeps you from doing other kinds of jobs. If you are only qualified for jobs you cannot physically perform, the SSA will need that information to make an appropriate decision in your case.
- Education: If you have a college or advanced degree, you may qualify for jobs that require little, if any, physical exertion. The Social Security Administration will review your educational history and records to determine if you have the education to perform new kinds of jobs.
- Consultative Medical Exam: The Social Security Administration will often require you to be examined by one of their doctors. That doctor will then give the Social Security Administration a report on your condition. This exam is performed at no cost to you.
Preparation for Your Initial Application
Being informed and prepared is essential when applying for Social Security Disability or Supplemental Security Income benefits. Even if you are denied the first time, as over 85% of applicants are, having your documentation and records properly organized and in order can help you get through the next stage more quickly.
As your legal representative, the Social Security Disability Attorneys at Papa & Roberts carefully manage each stage in the application process to prevent delays. If your initial application is denied, Papa & Roberts can guide you through the appeal process. Our attorneys' extensive negotiation experience and public sector background give us a unique perspective to assist you from the start of your initial application until your benefits are approved.
- Social Security Disability Applications and Appeals Home Page
- Disability Requirements
- Stages of the Benefits Process
- After Your Application Is Denied
- How We Are Paid
- SSA GRIDS
- Information on the Social Security Administration's GRIDS
Contact a Papa & Roberts attorney about your SSD or SSI application.